Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chasing Autism 4: Autism is NOT

Autism is not
A new, politically correct, way to say ‘mental retardation’
A spoiled child
The result of poor parenting
   These children, who grow up to be autistic adults, think differently. They are not wired the same as ‘neuro-typical’ people, nor are they wired the same as each other. You would need to get to know an autistic individual specifically to gain any useful insight. Reading books about the spectrum, watching videos on youtube is helpful but not always applicable.For example: My son is verbal, but his words are chunks of scripts, he does not choose words for their specific meanings. One would need to be around Kal’el to know that a ‘stand back’ is the oven, a ‘don’t touch it’ is the computer, or ‘Come on. Get some drawers on!’ means: pull yourself together.  I have not read anything that prepared me for this communication style.
   It is only from being around my son when he picks up and tries out these phrases that I know his intentions and can nudge him toward a more universally understood verbal response. One night in a dance class, I did not understand. My son cried and screamed repeatedly ‘that’s too loud’. I thought the drums were too loud, so I grabbed our belongings, Kal'el's hand and made my way to the exit. He pulled away from me, still screaming ‘That’s too loud!’ I sat in the hallway with tears in my eyes because I wanted to dance and thought my son would enjoy the class but he was having a melt-down instead. I was emotionally exhausted from isolation but also angry with the adults who looked at us and shook their heads then averted their eyes. Come to find out ‘That’s too loud” was a drum. He wanted to drum.
   ....and drum he did.
   In order to know what autism IS, you will have to invest your time and attention in relating to people on the spectrum. Books and other second hand sources wont cut it.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment