Sunday, August 28, 2011

She Rocks!

  
  If you have not seen the Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, you must stop what you are doing (including reading this) and go to the website www.awkwardblackgirl.com immediately. Issa Rae is my hero. She is doing what I aspire to do with this blog, which is to use Internet 2.0 to tell the story of the (this) girl next door. Thanks to the internet a black girl does not need to look or behave… a 'certain' way to be seen. We can show ourselves, tell our own stories. We can redefine popular culture, stretch it to include us. We can connect with, look up to, sympathize, empathize, and identify with someone who not only looks familiar but feels familiar. Though I would not describe myself as awkward I found myself saying ‘me too’ during each episode. Check it out, show some love, donate if you can, like the page on Facebook and last but not least, lets tell our stories.
    Oh and Ms. Rae, if by some chance you read this, I recognize that it takes no small amount of courage to be yourself, love and respect yourself enough to reveal a woman so vulnerable and vibrant. I Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment